Sunday, February 27, 2011

Berlin Pissoirs: The final effluence

We conclude our exhibit of traditional Berlin urinals with this gorgeous image of a facility that still survives at Rüdesheimer Platz. Constructed in a pleasantly rustic environment,  we find exemplified here the classic design envisioned and created by Stadtbaurat Carl Theodor Rospatt in 1878. By 1920 Berlin was adorned with no less than 142 of these cast-iron beauties. Spread out like a chain of cancerous pearls from one end of the city to the other, and driven only by the force of gravity, they were capable of servicing the beer discharge from as many as seven different urinators simultaneously.

thanks: flickruser sludgegulper